Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:51:27 +0100
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello james,

> cannot write as usual - permissions as usual. I can write to a blank
> disc, read from it, eject and reinsert it, open the folder, open the
> files, but not record for a second time - permissions problem. For a

Ah. so this problem only occurs when you attempt to append to an in use
disk?

> appendable. When I used a cd writer in W98 it reopened the disc and
> could write again. Is this not possible in my system?

It seems not.  What you're doing is trying to create a second session.
It seems that Winders, when you drag'n'drop, writes to the CDROM in a
multi-session mode.  It also appears that when you drag'n'drop under
Kubuntu, the session that is created is _not_ a multi-session one.
Hence the inability to add data.

The above is all a bit of guess work on my part;  I've never used
Windows, and always create CDs through K3b, rather than the desktop
because it gives me more control.

> > Ah, good.  Makes it easier, since we're singing from the same song
> > sheet.
> My idea is if I can get this to work for me, I can get it to work for
> her.

Almost certainly.

> > Path looks odd to me.  Here, /usr/bin/X11 is a link to itself.  Make
> > sure the cdrdao exists in that path.
> It is there.

Okay, not that then.  It's obviously just a difference in where Debian
& Kububtu put the relevant programs.

> I just put the whole section [External Programs] in.

Understood.  Just thought I'd mention it, "just in case".

--
 Regards  _

Kill joy, bad guy, big talking, small fry
Death On Two Legs - Queen