Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 13:20 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:

> Changing to root. Your password is probably for "sudo" operations, not
> for becoming root itself. Does root even have a password? (/etc/passwd,
> and /etc/shadow should tell you that).
/etc/passwd has
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
and ends
james:x:1000:1000:james kilty,,,:/home/james:/bin/bash

> Debian, and I assume (perhaps rashly) Ubuntu, use group permissions for
> CD devices, so that /dev/hda (CDRW) here is;

/dev/cdrw seems to be empty. no /dev/hda.

> I'm unclear if you are dual booting, and if these are independent
> installed operating systems. If it affects two completely separate
> installs on the same computer, then it seems likely it is hardware, or bios.

Dual boot XP and ubuntu - at login I can change to kubuntu and keep it
kubuntu every session (which is how I have been working) until I want to
change session at reboot.

> If the installs share something, even a home directory, all bets are
> off, since one or the other, may have done something the other doesn't
> like. Only way to resolve that is see if you can clear it, if a shared
> home directory, try a newer with no files, or possibly a live CD boot.
No such sharing. No separate /home partition as yet.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk