Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 13:47, james kilty wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 13:20 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> > Changing to root. Your password is probably for "sudo" operations, not
> > for becoming root itself. Does root even have a password? (/etc/passwd,
> > and /etc/shadow should tell you that).
>
> /etc/passwd has
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> and ends
> james:x:1000:1000:james kilty,,,:/home/james:/bin/bash

That is usual in a (K)Ubuntu box. Root on one of those systems is not actually
enabled by default for use. The sudo command is used instead.

> > Debian, and I assume (perhaps rashly) Ubuntu, use group permissions for
> > CD devices, so that /dev/hda (CDRW) here is;
>
> /dev/cdrw seems to be empty. no /dev/hda.

You will find the cd/dvd drive in /media on a (K)Ubuntu system. It is going to
be called cdrom (which is actually a symlink to cdrom0).  The device path
will be /dev/hdc, not hda which is usually reserved for hard disks.

> > I'm unclear if you are dual booting, and if these are independent
> > installed operating systems. If it affects two completely separate
> > installs on the same computer, then it seems likely it is hardware, or
> > bios.
>
> Dual boot XP and ubuntu - at login I can change to kubuntu and keep it
> kubuntu every session (which is how I have been working) until I want to
> change session at reboot.
>
> > If the installs share something, even a home directory, all bets are
> > off, since one or the other, may have done something the other doesn't
> > like. Only way to resolve that is see if you can clear it, if a shared
> > home directory, try a newer with no files, or possibly a live CD boot.
>
> No such sharing. No separate /home partition as yet.
>
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

I still feel the comment I made before about the disk either needing time to
be detected once you choose burn or perhaps media incompatability is most
likely.

Mark