Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 00:01 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> > The icon showed yesterday. Both with a blank cd (not mounted actually)
> > and one with data (I didn't check if it was mounted).
>
> Until you do something (click on it, for example) it won't be mounted.
Thanks and note the difference today. I went over to GNOME and dumped
the icon/link. The disc icon comes up and I can open the test file. I
cannot write as usual - permissions as usual. I can write to a blank
disc, read from it, eject and reinsert it, open the folder, open the
files, but not record for a second time - permissions problem. For a
blank disc it says file owner unknown. For a disc I have recorded to:
file owner - root. Also free space 0. It seems to think it is not
appendable. When I used a cd writer in W98 it reopened the disc and
could write again. Is this not possible in my system?

> > I usually use KDE but I went over to GNOME which my friend liked and
> > thought she could use (I can do this on logging in with (K)ubuntu).
>
> Ah, good.  Makes it easier, since we're singing from the same song
> sheet.
My idea is if I can get this to work for me, I can get it to work for
her.

> > [External Programs]
> > cdrdao default=/usr/bin/X11/cdrdao
>
> Path looks odd to me.  Here, /usr/bin/X11 is a link to itself.  Make
> sure the cdrdao exists in that path.
It is there.
>   If not look for it in /usr/bin.
> The same goes for all the other programs.
All there.
> Don't worry about the "missing" programs further down the list, since
> tccat vcd* are all optional, and only needed if you're burning video
> CDs, which differ from data/audio CDs.
I just put the whole section [External Programs] in.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk