Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

james kilty wrote:

> Both kubuntu and ubuntu both recognise all external storage devices
> today, but I cannot copy any new files over to the cd (using drag and
> drop). It tells me I do not have permissions to write to the folder
> (even though I did so yesterday to the blank disk). In
> properties>permissions it tells me file owner is root. Attempting to
> change user to root, it does not recognise my password, even though I
> use it routinely for updates.

Changing to root. Your password is probably for "sudo" operations, not
for becoming root itself. Does root even have a password? (/etc/passwd,
and /etc/shadow should tell you that).

Debian, and I assume (perhaps rashly) Ubuntu, use group permissions for
CD devices, so that /dev/hda (CDRW) here is;

brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 3, 0 2007-07-27 17:14 /dev/hda

Read and write to group "cdrom" gets us CD access.

Typically the permissions are set, or reset, at boot, and shouldn't be
changed manually. You should just assign users to the relevant groups.

As for why it happened. What changed? Someone fiddled ;)

I'm unclear if you are dual booting, and if these are independent
installed operating systems. If it affects two completely separate
installs on the same computer, then it seems likely it is hardware, or bios.

If the installs share something, even a home directory, all bets are
off, since one or the other, may have done something the other doesn't
like. Only way to resolve that is see if you can clear it, if a shared
home directory, try a newer with no files, or possibly a live CD boot.