[LUG] permissions and potential new user

Dear all

Yesterday I may have persuaded a friend to install ubuntu on a new
machine - probably a Dell. I have advised her to seek a MS free system
and save money, also to have it installed (so she has no hardware
issues).

One facility she would like is to use cd's for data storage and exchange
with friends. I had problems of doing this as kubuntu (which I showed
her first) did not pick up my blank cd (nor a "usb stick" in the form of
an old mp3 player I have used before to transfer files easily to another
computer). When I rebooted with ubuntu, it recognised both and we copied
test files for her over, so we were all satisfied - until today.

Both kubuntu and ubuntu both recognise all external storage devices
today, but I cannot copy any new files over to the cd (using drag and
drop). It tells me I do not have permissions to write to the folder
(even though I did so yesterday to the blank disk). In
properties>permissions it tells me file owner is root. Attempting to
change user to root, it does not recognise my password, even though I
use it routinely for updates.

Two problems I do not want my friend to have - nor me. Help please.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk