Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:59:35 +0100
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello james,

> > KDE, I get a requester come up telling me which process(es) are
> > using the drive.
> How do you activate this. There's nothing in the process table I
> recognise as connected.

Gubbered if I know;  It "just happens" here.  I think I might have
explained badly.  That requester only comes up if I try to eject a
CD/DVD and the drive is in use.

> None open. The non-appearance of the cd icon on the desktop is part of
> this problem.

In KDE[0], that can be altered from the Control Centre;
Desktop-Behaviour then the "Device Icons" tab.  Mark the "Show device
icons:" box, then tick all the devices you want shown.

[0] I've seen you mention Gnome & KDE, so don't know which is your
preferred DE.  I never use Gnome so can't tell you how the above is
done there.

If you want an icon showing for the drive, right click on the desktop
and select "Create New.." then "Link to device" and select the most
appropriate one and pointing it (Properties/Device) to the correct
device from the drop-down list.

> Should I now try the suid line you suggested involving wacom?

That was "wodim", not "wacom".  Wodim has replaced cdrecord.  At least,
it has in Debian Testing/Lenny.  See what comes up in K3b
Settings/Configure K3b.../Programs

From ~/.kde/share/config/k3brc the relevant bit is headed
[External Programs]

--
 Regards  _

Now would I say something that wasn't true?
Would I Lie To You - Eurythmics