Re: [LUG] [WAS]: Mint 15 falsely claims / is full [BACK TO]: misbehaving DVD

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:57:24 +0000
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Julian,

>My only issue with it being a hardware problem is that it does work
>/sometimes.  Once or twice I have put a DVD in the drive and it's

That doesn't preclude it being a hardware issue (intermittent faults
are notoriously hard to track down), although as you go on to say that
the drive works fine in Windows it does lessen the likelihood.

>mounted, this being the more frequent behaviour.  I would have thought
>had it been a physical hardware issue it wouldn't have mounted at all.

That's the most likely outcome, I agree.

>Also as I've mentioned to bad apple previously, it's a triple-boot box
>- Windows XP, Windows 7 and Mint 15, and the drive behaves flawlessly

I'm currently experiencing DVD/CD issues myself, although I always
get /dev/sr0 & /dev/sr1 listed.  To get around my problem (disks
inserted in either drive don't get seen by the device notifier) I have
to, as root, issue the following command;

echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs

There seems to be some sort of issue deep within udev that means the
above doesn't get executed during the boot sequence.  This is in Debian
testing (currently Jessie) BTW.  With Mint being Ubuntu based, and that
in turned based on Debian your problem may have some things in common.
In short, try issuing the above command then inserting a disk and see
what happens.

>in the other two OSs.  Worth a try though, but as I am in a wheelchair
>it will have to wait for the weekend until a friend visits who can pull

If you're like me, you hate having to ask people to do that sort of
thing as it tests their patience if they're not a tech type.  To say
nothing of straining a friendship.

>the box for me - I'm in South Wales otherwise I am sure I would get
>offers from the LUG to assist with that.

Could be worse;  You could be in *New* South Wales.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
Just coz they do it in the movies, don't mean to say that it's cool