Re: [LUG] Mint 15 falsely claims / is full

On 09/12/13 23:02, Julian Hall wrote:

> Nothing exists in /media except HERA - which is the NAS and I don't know
> /why/ it exists there as fstab says to mount it as /media/julian/HERA
> (which also exists), and /julian which has subfolders of CYNTHIA,
> GANDALF and HERA.

That in itself is disturbing - overlaying mounted filesystems
unintentionally will not end well. Double check your fstab file to make
sure you are mounting everything properly where you expect it to be,
i.e., under /media/julian/[HERA,GANDALF,CYNTHIA] from now on.

*EDIT*

Remembered you had previously posted your fstab, and I've checked it:
it's wrong, not sure why I didn't spot this before. You have:

192.168.0.3:/volume1/Hera /media/HERA nfs
users,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

You can see what's wrong with that right? :]

You're mounting the NAS as /media/HERA, and not /media/julian/HERA/ - no
wonder your graphical disk analysis pics looked so weird. Fix that
first, and remount your volumes properly - I can't believe that hasn't
already caused you *serious* problems.

  So, I created a CDROM directory in /media/julian and
> issued the following, modifying yours:
>
> Cerce julian # ls -alh /media/julian/CDROM
> total 8.0K
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Dec  9 22:53 .
> drwxr-x---+ 6 root root 4.0K Dec  9 22:53 ..
> Cerce julian #

Yeah, it's definitely not seeing anything and mount agrees.

Normally Mint/Ubuntu would by default automount to
/media/$USER/$VOLUMENAME, so personally I'm not at all convinced
permanently mounted volumes should also live there for sanity reasons.
Personally, I've always used the boring old /mnt directory to peg my
permanently mounted extra volumes to, avoiding weird permission issues
and possible namespace collisions. I think you could do worse than
creating the equivalent /mnt/$VOLUME directories to the ones in
/media/julian/$VOLUME and editing fstab to update the changes. This will
keep your automounting directory free.

> Incidentally, I think I mentioned before, sr0, cdrom, etc do not exist
> in /dev until/unless the optical drive mounts and I don't know why that
> is, and may well be the root cause of the problem.

That has to be the root of the issue, I'll dig a little.

Cheers