Re: [LUG] Mint 15 falsely claims / is full

On 09/12/13 16:49, bad apple wrote:
On 09/12/13 16:41, Julian Hall wrote:
On 09/12/13 16:04, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi Martijn,

What happened was the machine had been idle and locked the screen, so
as usual I entered my password to resume working. Then I had a
warning dialog box that / was full with two buttons 'Ignore' and
'Examine'.  Ignore would obviously be stupid so I clicked Examine,
and that ran Mint's own Disk Usage Analyser, which is the screenshot
you're referring to.

It turns out it was right that the problem was in /media, but wrong
that it was in a subdirectory of /media/julian - I think? - as
/media/HERA is not a subdirectory of /media/julian.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'regardless of partition' as I thought
that mounting / , /home , and all the others in separate physical
partitions, the only place I would have to look for a problem if /
was full would be that one partition.  Is that not the case or am I
getting it wrong - again?
No, your understanding is correct. It is just that Mint's Disk Usage
Analyser shows something else than du does.

DUA - as I understand it - shows how much disk space is used on the
system as a whole. By that I mean that it simply sees the system as a
tree with / as its root. The program (or at least the way it was run
when you took the screenshot) then shows which directories use how
much disk space.

I can't see why that would be helpful, especially not if one of the
partitions is full.

You were right, the problems were in /media, more specifically in
/media/HERA which is part of the main filesystem / (I am bad at
termonology). Without knowing the partition table, you wouldn't be
able to tell from DUA that there was an issue there though:
/media/julian, for instance, uses a lot more disk space, but that
isn't a problem because it is on a different partition with even more
free space.

I hope that explains.

Martijn.

Perfect explanation.. thanks Martijn :)

Ah, you guys have sorted this all out whilst I was sleeping... thought
you probably would have. I was going to bet anything on it being a full
/var/log on / perhaps, filled with DVD automount errors.

Luckily I didn't post my stupid opinion on the list as it turned out to
be wrong.

Wait, whoops...

Regards

Funny you should mention DVD automount errors.. guess what still only works when it feels like it? :)

Julian