Re: [LUG] Mint 15 falsely claims / is full

On 09/12/13 19:26, bad apple wrote:
On 09/12/13 18:39, Julian Hall wrote:

I tried automountng as suggested and got the below output..

julian@Cerce ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom && nemo /media/cdrom &
[1] 4741
julian@Cerce ~ $

I tried nautilus and got 4806 command not found..

Julian

Presuming your DVD is /dev/sr0 (it almost definitely is) and that
/media/cdrom exists, you could just use:

ls -alh /media/cdrom

to manually check and see if there is anything there in a terminal. Also:

mount

To see if the unit is now listed as a mounted device. Don't forget to
check dmesg for anything interesting in the last couple of lines.

The second part was just to automatically open a file browser in the
correct place, I used "nemo" as I know you use Mint, so "nautilus"
probably isn't installed unless you manually installed it. Either way,
as you've just learnt, GUI tools are next to useless when you're trying
to diagnose and fix system problems as they frequently don't help:
troubleshooting is best done at a prompt. Less ambiguity, more focus,
better tools.

So yeah, what does "ls -alh /media/cdrom" get you?

I'll get to the bottom of this if it kills me...

Nothing exists in /media except HERA - which is the NAS and I don't know /why/ it exists there as fstab says to mount it as /media/julian/HERA (which also exists), and /julian which has subfolders of CYNTHIA, GANDALF and HERA. So, I created a CDROM directory in /media/julian and issued the following, modifying yours:

Cerce julian # ls -alh /media/julian/CDROM
total 8.0K
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Dec  9 22:53 .
drwxr-x---+ 6 root root 4.0K Dec  9 22:53 ..
Cerce julian #

Output of mount:

Cerce julian # mount
/dev/sda8 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/sda9 on /home type ext4 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /media/julian/CYNTHIA type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096) /dev/sda7 on /media/julian/GANDALF type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096) binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
rpc_pipefs on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/julian/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=julian) 192.168.0.3:/volume1/Hera on /media/julian/HERA type nfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,addr=192.168.0.3)
Cerce julian #

No optical drive in sight anywhere.

Incidentally, I think I mentioned before, sr0, cdrom, etc do not exist in /dev until/unless the optical drive mounts and I don't know why that is, and may well be the root cause of the problem.

Kind regards,

Julian