Re: [LUG] website

On 31/12/12 15:54, Matt Lee wrote:
> Wow, heated debate.
>
> First of all, I think anyone giving Neil Williams or Simon Waters a
> tough time over the website should take a moment to curb their
> enthusiasm and try to keep things civil.
Agreed,  I wasn't trying to make life hard for people, in fact I was
simply suggesting a new website (even if this is a re-design / work) and
actually posted a link to the open devon site as I have made that with a
dclug twist as i needed something as a starting point.

I understand and appreciate  people are worried about new sites and all
the extra work this will entail.   So if we can do this without making
lots of work for one person then so much the better if we can have a new
site and share the load more and have more contributors but keep control
of this, plus have the other features such as forum then that is good.
I am sure there is a way to do this.

> Neil W isn't the only person reading this list from outside of Devon
> or Cornwall -- I'm reading it from my couch in Boston, Massachusetts.
> I've never heard anything about members who are further away being
> banished, it would seem rather counterproductive in fact.
Well everyone is welcome

> The website could use some love, and the existing site would be fine
> for that -- maybe it needs a new design applied to it, but it
> certainly needs more content.
I think everyone agrees here,  and there is a consensus for some TLC on
the site,  but a bigger issue is moving forward and using forums /
social media as well as the mailing list for communication,  we have
wider appeal and there are more ways to keep up to date.   Lets embrace
social media at leasdt as we have people on here willing to retweet
stuff,  one less job for an admin but everyone can contribute and feel
part of the group in doing so. :)

> Instead of ranting about it, let's write
> a review of a distribution or two. I'll happily write a review of
> Trisquel GNU/Linux for the website, I'll also write a review of a
> couple of hardware devices I have as well.
Great, if you want I can stick it on opendevon for now.

People want to contribute and everyone has their own level of
expertise,  twitter, facebook,  forums etc etc,  so lets combine
everyones talents, and show the world the free software community can
collaborate and also show the rest of the UK there re people in Devon
and Cornwall with real technical expertise, With cuts looming we really
do have an opportunity.

A site can also be a way to network and promote skills,  business etc,
hosting, web design, programming, teaching etc.

> Devon and Cornwall is a big area, relative to the size of the UK --
> organizing a meeting that everyone can get to is going to be tough.
> Why not have some geographic groups within the GLUG?

We are sort of doing that anyway exeter lug,  meets in North / South
Devon and the penzance hackspace,  The more we can reach out the more
likely it wil be we will see more meetings adn better attendance at
meets,   more ideas for topics and take it from there.

It would be nice to be able to include multiple ways to keep in touch
with the lug on any website, posters, articles etc.  I want to write
more articles on the Pi or the programming group so being able to direct
people to  nice looking site where they can follow us on twitter would
be  good thing for those that choose that method.

> As a GNU/Linux
> user group, you also have the support of the Free Software Foundation
> who will send you books, stickers, materials for your events, and the
> next time I'm back in Exeter, I'd love to come to an event -- I could
> even talk about some of my own free software experiences.

Excellent,  This would be welcome,   If we can arrange for a talk we can
make sure its really well publicised, a good argument for an effective
website to promote this esp one that integrates with social networks,
there is software out there that allows web casts etc,  or
googlehangouts to really bring people in.   Something to keep in mind
for a future date,

Perhaps a link to things like eventbrite to handle ticketing etc, (I am
sure David in Penzance has experience of this )

> I'm happy that the list is still going and that the group is still
> going and has a not-too-shabby website that's still kicking.

Yep we are still going strong,  while many other lugs have fallen away,
lets adapt, keep fresh and upto date and heres to the next 10 years.
I think given the emotive issue we are discussing here the lug is alive
and well,  and people care about it,

Paul

> matt

http://drupal.zleap.net