Re: [LUG] website

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012, Kai Hendry wrote:

On 29 December 2012 01:48, paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ideas / comments welcome.

As once upon a time, maintainer of Wordpress of Debian, I would stay
clear of it. It's a security / maintenance nightmare.

Once upon a time ....

A lot has changed since then. Sure, Wordpress did have security issues, might still have in the future, but at least it's very active and being worked on update cycles are now much quicker and upgrading is a doddle compared to the olded days. Similarly with the plugins - pick the well maintained ones and in-general you'll be fine.

Nothing is perfect though - every cms type platform has had issues in the past. e.g. ikiwiki you're going on about below...

http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2012-0220

I strongly recommend a website having a git backend. ikiwiki is that
most fancy and github pages (where you statically generate everything)
is the simplest. e.g.
http://geekout.org.uk/ an ikiwiki site
https://github.com/kaihendry/prazefarm - github pages source for
http://prazefarm.co.uk/

Having it git makes it much nicer for tech savvy folks to contribute content to.

Sure. But it also means a new learning curve. Do you want to maintain the site? I'll email you the FTP password if you do. Just let me know..

Gordon