Re: [LUG] website

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:05:00 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So why has it been the same old site with the same guys & gals on the
> front page for what seems like years now?

I didn't put that image there and anyone who can keep track of their
login credentials is able to change it.

It has been there for years - it was a LUG BBQ in August a year or two
before I moved away.

The website doesn't matter - the list has always been what makes the
LUG.

TBH, I'm not sure how relevant the LUG is any longer. Maybe it is time
to think about whether we even need the website.

> may have escaped your notice but I run a hosting company. Want free
> hosting? It's there for the taking.

Been there, done that. Moved to hosting which actually works.

> (And Simon works for a web design company - hosting? It's available for
> free, perk of the job, isn't it? Although I do understand that sometimes
> you need to keep work and fun separate)

Been there, done that. Moved the server.

> You'll be telling me that sendmail which I run is full of holes next...

It's had holes, yes. It could have holes in the future too. That's why
we need people like the Debian security team.

> Oh, and incidentally, what are we doing about the Raspberry Pi?

Nothing. Raspberry Pi is the wrong CPU design, ARMv6 instead of ARMv5 or
ARMv7. Every one else is on ARMv5 or ARMv7. Pi went for 6 because it
was cheap but it was cheap because nobody else wanted to use it. Pi is a
cul-de-sac and a toy. Despite initial promise, it is not a viable
platform - for education or development. There's a lot of work going in
to Raspbian but any distro which is specific to a single CPU design is
already dead. Just a question of time. Anyone actually have a use for a
distribution which works on 80386 but not on a Pentium or later?

> Oh, Paul posted about this on Friday - and it's taken you 2 days to read
> and catch up - or was it just that you saw stuff about the website and
> wouldn't normally bother with the list?

I'm rather busy with things which actually matter to users and
companies worldwide - like releasing the next stable version of Debian.

I'm going back to lurking now. I've got more important stuff to get
done today.

> Oh, and while I'm at it (ranting!), who actually owns dclug.org.uk?

Try the real domain: dcglug.org.uk - dclug is the alias.

--
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>