Re: [LUG] website

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:41:55 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Basically right now, no-one other than Paul wants to maintain it

Paul isn't maintaining it - Simon & I are. I pay the bills.

It's Simon who intervenes to keep the site happy at all hours of the
day and night when Apache gets slammed by the latest bot net.

>, I
> offered Paul a wordpress setup because it's easy.

Ease of use usually works against security and where wordpress is
concerned, that is definitely the case. Security definitely matters.

A wordpress setup will not cope with the archive. Choose what you want.
If you don't want the archive, fine.

> And let's face it - so what if it does get compromised?

Simon & I care. There are other services on that server - they care.

> I run dozens of
> wordpress sites on my servers - shit happens from time to time, but it's
> not the end of the world.

It is a lot of work. Work I don't have time to do, work that Simon
doesn't need to do if the server is maintained properly.

> SO: WHO WANTS TO RUN THE LUG WEBSITE? (Other than Paul, that is). And if
> you do want to run it, please stand up and be counted - and then DO
> something about it.

The website is running fine AFAICT. Simon is doing a fantastic job of
keeping the server happy. The LUG website doesn't need someone to run
it. It's my server, I'm the one paying the bills. Simon & I run the LUG
website and have done so for a long time.

If the LUG doesn't want that any more, fine, I can do an `rm -rf ./*`
any time. Paul doesn't have that access - Simon & I do.

> Or shutup, sit-back and let it happen without whinging about it.

Please, Gordon. Take your own advice.

All I've seen so far have been whinges about eye candy and a new look
for no good reason.

--
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>