Re: [LUG] USB sticks part 2

On 06/04/2019 23:32, Neil wrote:

> One problem I have is when it asks me for a password. In Thunar there is
> an item named livemx. When I try to look at it, it asks me for the root
> password. I do not remember setting up any password while installing
> Knoppix. I have tried several likely passwords, but to no avail. Any
> ideas please?

Ah!
part A.
I have no idea what livemx is, but is it an item that was created by
Unetbootin as it would see your live creation as being created inside
your mx system?
Did you enter a password in the Unetbootin set up?

It is possible to create a password protected 'persistent' file inside
Live Linux set ups.
Knoppix USB when created from DVD iso asks if you want to password
protect the system of a persistent file.
As you do not have a DVD on your system you cannot re-create what I see.

Part B
Knoppix menu has a clue for you.
Normally Knoppix as a Live Linux works without root access for safety
reasons. and without a password.
Load  it. it  works, user is 'knoppix live user'; no password!

However when you load Knoppix and it is working, you will find a menu
item to 'save a root password'.
 In Knoppix part of menu there is an item to save password for root.

Sometimes useful if you want to edit stuff.

When set, it prevents any other user of the USB from gaining root access
unless they have the set password, if you have a persistent storage set up.

I usually set a root password  when I am using Knoppix to recover data
from non-booting Windows systems as it allows full disc access to all parts.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald