Re: [LUG] USB sticks part 2

see below

On 05/04/2019 11:36, Neil wrote:
> On 04/04/2019 19:40, Eion MacDonal
>>

>> As soon as any (first screen) boots it has a Knoppix penguin and two
>> lines of white on black code underneath. The second line is where you
>> alter the boot instructions. (the boot prompt).
>>
>> line beginning "boot: _"
>>
>> See picture  http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix740-bootscreen.png
>>
>>   So hitting 'k' stops things, as you enter a k into boot line, until you
>> complete the command line by entering after the k 'noppix lang=uk'.
>>
>> Thus entry code line adjustment is "knoppix lang=uk"
>>
> When I log on now to Knoppix I do not see the screen shown in your png
> above. I get a vertical list of various options for booting, in text,
> with the word 'Default' at the top. If I let it simply do its thing,
> after a few seconds it immediately starts Knoppix. There is no sign of
> the png screen as above, it is all text. Perhaps I should be choosing
> one of the options in the list instead of leaving it to default?
>
> Neil

20190405 at 21.42
I think your mistake is in how you made the USB key of Knoppix.

"Well, I have had a go. I have installed Knoppix on to a USB stick. It
would not work with etcher, so I had to use Unetbootin."

Do not use a USB boot creation  program to create the Knoppix USB.

*Load knoppix from a bootable DVD created from Knoppix iso.*

Then select "knoppix lang=uk"  from boot line (or you can use default
USA keyboard selection it does not matter at this stage)

*Them after Knoppix loads and is workable*,
make a Knoppix USB from the menu selection under heading KNOPPIX

Choice to be made: to install Knoppix ONLY to removable devices (stops
overwriting your main hard disk)
then select the USB key you want to load Knoppix onto.
Chose to be as DVD (always then no code changes or capability to
download to Knoppix ) unless you want persistence and thus capability to
store or alter programs.

Sometimes 'unetbootin' gives problems (I gave up on it a long time ago!)

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald