[LUG] USB sticks part 2

On 06/04/2019 16:59, Neil wrote:
> On 05/04/2019 21:52, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>>
>> Do not use a USB boot creation  program to create the Knoppix USB.
>>
>> *Load knoppix from a bootable DVD created from Knoppix iso.*
>>
>> Then select "knoppix lang=uk"  from boot line (or you can use default
>> USA keyboard selection it does not matter at this stage)
>>
>> *Them after Knoppix loads and is workable*,
>> make a Knoppix USB from the menu selection under heading KNOPPIX
>>
>> Choice to be made: to install Knoppix ONLY to removable devices (stops
>> overwriting your main hard disk)
>> then select the USB key you want to load Knoppix onto.
>> Chose to be as DVD (always then no code changes or capability to
>> download to Knoppix ) unless you want persistence and thus capability to
>> store or alter programs.
>>
>> Sometimes 'unetbootin' gives problems (I gave up on it a long time ago!)
>>
> Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been out most of the day. To answer
> some earlier questions, yes I do have UEFI on the laptop. The version of
> Knoppix which I have installed is exactly the one you mention, that is
> version 8.2-2018-05-10.
>
> I am loading from a USB stick. No I did not install to a DVD and then on
> to the USB. (I don't have any DVD's available). It installed directly
> from the iso file to the USB stick. I had to use Unetbootin because
> etcher was not working on my laptop. (Must look into that.)
>
> You have been explaining about clicking on the choice 'custom' when I
> start. I don't know where any differences are but now, when I start up
> log in via the USB I do not see any choice called custom. I see a list
> of three options only. The first one is the default and tells me which
> version of MX Linux is installed and ready to start. So I just press
> enter and away we go.
>
> What is interesting is that at the bottom of the screen I have a list of
> choices via the function keys. Here is the list.
>
> F2 language. I used this to set up English UK.
> F3 Timezone. I used this to set up London.
> F4 options. I have not yet looked at that one.
> F5 persist. I used this to make any changes persistent. This is working.
> F6 failsafe I have not looked at that one so far.
> F7 console  Have not used that one
> F8 save. The first time I did use this, and any changes are indeed being
> saved. Each time I log in the changes I have made are up to date.
>
> I set up the wifi, for example, and now at each log in it automatically
> links me to the internet.
>
> It seems strange that, although I am using the exact version that you
> listed for me, the screens that appear seem to be very different.
>
> I have not yet found out how to copy my home folder over, or at least
> some of it. Just some of the profile files would be useful.
>
> Neil

Some answers (I was slow, as I do not use Unetbootin).

I think I have found out what you have done, I investigated Unetbootin.
Question
"The first one is the default and tells me which
> version of MX *[EM ???]  (this should read Knoppix Linux)* is
installed [EM 'on USB' ] and ready to start."

Does this start your normal hard disc with MX Linux? [And NOT Knoppix?]
I think it starts Knoppix!

If so, then *that menu is a GRUB selection* for various versions of
Knoppix operating systems (32 bit, 62 bit, adriane ( a voice screen
reader option), knoppix64  (knoppix using a 64 bit kernel) etc. on the
bootable USB.

When you start Knoppix, you should never get your normal OS.
Only the Live Knoppix  system.

My problem was how Unetbootin has loaded Live Knoppix to your USB.
As it is years since I used Unetbootin, I went for a YouTube Video on
it, and I now see what you get is the GRUB screen choices of Unetbootin
from *Unetbootin's GRUB menu*. [No picture attached, but you can se it
in video]

See YouTube Video:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xIR9KnLmvo
[Make a Bootable Knoppix/Linux Flash Drive]
about 2.22 minutes into video is the menu system.

Gives
heading "Unetbootin "  then

Default        [This is where Knoppix searches your machine and fits
                its version to your hardware]
auto
knoppix
adriane
knoppix64
adriane64
debug
debug64
fb1024x760
fb800x600

The one you should use is knoppix64 as you have a 64 bit machine.
Now 'default' is ok as it will allow Knoppix to search for what fits
your machine. It should then chose what suits your hardware.

Playing the video, it goes past the boot adjustment line, without
showing how to select language.
However it shows in red on choice screen Press TAB to adjust entry.
I think this allows you to adjust boot line. It may be this that has
given you the F2  through F8 options. You only need the F2 (UK language)
and F3 to use as a LIVE LINUX *without persistence*.

As you have previously pressed F5 (with persistence) it will save
changes to Knoppix  for rebooting. Ok for Wifi settings etc, but it
means the safety of the Live Linux  as a non-writeable kiosk type
operating system is gone. Thus an attacker could write to the system, if
you can write to the system

The whole purpose of a LIVE LINUX Knoppix is NOT to put stuff on it as a
 "/home" but use it as  as a operating system which is 'frozen'  and
thus incorruptible. No persistence.
As a choice it allows persistence, but is less safe.

Without persistence, it is the best Linux for internet banking, buying
etc. as no 'bad guy' can write to or access your data on it. Its
firewall is set somewhat rigidly to not allow incoming-writing data.
I teach my pupils (seniors) to use it for banking.

If any work done in Live Linux Knoppix is to be saved it is saved OFF
the Knoppix USB to another  disc , usually another USB.
I have not yet found out how to copy my home folder over, or at least
> some of it. Just some of the profile files would be useful.
Unquote

You should NOT copy over your "/home" folder
If Knoppix is operating from its own USB, you will find it has found any
other internal discs (i.e. you main operating system for that machine
and "/user/home") on that machine and can show them, and access and
write to or read from these other discs.

I think you have a workable Knoppix USB using Unetbootin's GRUB boot
loader. That is why 'default' without any adjustment of boot line (edit
line by tab) gave you a USA keyboard. (The default keyboard for EN
versions of Knoppix is USA keyboard).

Check your USBs
Once you have booted into Knoppix, you can into another USB slot and
insert your problem USB keys, if opened in file manager, UNMOUNT, then
start GParted  from Knoppix to examine the problem USB.
Gparted is in menu section preferences. It is the lowest menu line choice

I trust this helps.

Aside.
I have one laptop (experimental and old) 2-internal-hard disk machine
which dual boots Windows Vista or Knoppix from its two internal hard
discs, one on Windows , one on Knoppix, but the prior formatting of a
Knoppix hard disk is a serious matter [learn how to on a search engine]
(as it uses btrfs for OS), there is an 'experimental' "Knoppix OS to HD"
[hard disc]" choice in knoppix menus but sometimes it does not work.

Let me know how you get on.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald