Re: [LUG] USB sticks part 2

On 02/04/2019 14:09, Neil wrote:
> Since I am still having some problems with my USB sticks, I decided to
> have a look at a utility called Disks, which is in my accessories list
> in the main menu. (In synaptic it is named gnome-disks).
>
> This is quite a useful program, and so far I have managed to get five
> sticks working properly. I have another five sticks which are giving me
> problems, so I am asking for some help with this please.
>
> Some of them will not let me paste any files, saying that it is read
> only. According to the listing of the permissions, they all have both
> read and write permissions set up.
>
> Another disk will not let me format it because it contains a partition
> table. I thought they all had partition tables!!!
>
> Obviously things I am not understanding here. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction please?
>
> Neil

First.
1 Have you the ability to boot from a LIVE LINUX Knoppix distro?
2 If so check each USB stick with GParted from Knoppix.
3 Then it should show how USB disk is partitioned and what if any flags
are set.
4. Check those that work ok , and those that do not work and see the
difference.
5 See if any retain the maker's own programs, usually a ".exe" file for
Windows and  other Windows stuff.
6 Do they show any 'Low Level Formatting' program by maker
USB drive; OR and memory card, for the purpose of formatting a bootable
drive, *repairing track 0 bad*, removing write protection, computer
virus and troubleshooting Windows when Windows was unable to complete
the format.
unquote
This is based on the USB sticks being originally formatted for use in
Windows OS.

If working with this THEN REMOVE your normal hard drive from system, you
cannot afford to make a mistake. Thus you only have Live Knoppix distro,
and USB stick attached to machine as drives.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald