Re: [LUG] USB sticks part 2

On 04/04/2019 16:41, Neil wrote:
> On 04/04/2019 11:51, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>>

>> I use it and have used it since Knoppix 3 in 1990s to access, use, (In
>> English) computers in Russia, China, Iran, Iraq, UK, EU etc.
>> Important NOTE at first boot screen stop loading by pressing letter "k"
>>   insert knoppix[space]lang=uk  to get a UK keyboard.
>> Otherwise it may load USA keyboard (UK mirrors) or default German
>> keyboard  (EU mirrors)
>
> Well, I have had a go. I have installed Knoppix on to a USB stick. It
> would not work with etcher, so I had to use Unetbootin.
>
> Re the warning above about the keyboard. I am stuck with the US keyboard
> at the moment which I will not use. I am not sure what you mean by the
> 'first boot screen', but I have tried pressing k at various points,
> which is completely ignored. I have been able to change the time slot to
> London, but I cannot find anywhere in the settings to change the
> keyboard layout.
>
> I also notice that the browser is Chromium, which I hate. I hope I can
> install Pale Moon, which is the one I always use. But my main problem at
> the moment is the keyboard layout.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Ummn!

As soon as any (first screen) boots it has a Knoppix penguin and two
lines of white on black code underneath. The second line is where you
alter the boot instructions. (the boot prompt).

line beginning "boot: _"

See picture  http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix740-bootscreen.png

 So hitting 'k' stops things, as you enter a k into boot line, until you
complete the command line by entering after the k 'noppix lang=uk'.

Thus entry code line adjustment is "knoppix lang=uk"

Please see Knoppix cheat codes page for instructions

http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

      CHEATCODES AND HINTS FOR KNOPPIX V7.6
                         (last update: 26.01.2016)

These options (can be combined) work from the boot prompt:

### General ###
adriane                             Start blind-friendly, talking desktop
debug                               Debug boot process step-by-step [→ Tip]
expert                              Interactive setup for experts [→ Tip]
knoppix                             Knoppix w/ 32bit Kernel
knoppix64                           Knoppix w/ 64bit Kernel [→ Tip]
knoppix 2                           Runlevel 2, Textmode only
knoppix init=/bin/bash              Start bash as process 1 instead of init

### Language/Country ###
knoppix lang=ch|cn|de|da|es|fr|it   specify language/keyboard [Hint: 1]
knoppix lang=nl|pl|ru|sk|tr|tw|us   specify language/keyboard
knoppix keyboard=us xkeyboard=us    Use different keyboard (text/X)
knoppix utc                         Use Universal Time [→ Tip]
knoppix tz=Europe/Berlin            Use this timezone for TZ
                                    (default: tz=localtime)

*knoppix lang=uk         specifies UK keyboard*

BROWSER  is NOT chromium but a very much adjusted chromium, due to
faults in "firefox"  which was Knoppix browser for last many years.
Dr Prof K changed this about 3 versions ago.

You cannot load any downloads to Knoppix except his permitted add ons,
that is why the LiveLinux is secure.
If you use a persistence USB key where you do not 'boot to original
system' then you a adjusting the distro, permitted , many do so, but for
fault checking I stick to distro as issued.
I also use a set up with persistence where I have added some things.
e.g. my WiFi set up for home router.

You can modify Knoppix easily by re-mastering it to your heart's
content, but for browser I would stay with his choice or use others
already in his menu set up.

Knoppix also gets round the 'portal log ons' that use and need a
"http://browser";  landing page to allow access at public libraries etc.
whereas firefox, chromium or chrome or Edge will not load a landing page
with 'http://'.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald