Re: [LUG] Firefox tabs

On 26/07/14 23:30, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> On 26/07/2014 17:35, bad apple wrote:
>> You might
>> as well try opening Excel with no worksheets
>
> This I do and it is Very Common when working with accounts programs, as
> most ONLY call MS Excel, and  thus if machine default is LibreOffice
> saving data to a spreadsheet stops program. May corrupt database etc.
> Thus after 14 years of working with a specific Accounts program [Windows
> ONLY code base and IE as interface], I call up MS Excel before starting
> accounts , and open it with no sheets open.
> Then a save to Excel works easily.
> Much correspondence with Accounts program folk(or 'so-called' help desk
> states , "ONLY IE" is used on "EVERY computer" so we do not permit other
> browsers, "ONLY MS Excel" is used on EVERY computer " so ...
>
> Unfortunately , I have to use this accounts program as it is locked into
> clients network .
> Funnily all analysis after saving is or course done in Libre Office (or
> previously in Open Office.org) and reposted to others as a MS Format
> .xls saved in LO and no one notices that.

Yeah, actually that was a terrible example - I fired up a spare Win8.1
VM with office on and immediately noticed that by default Excel opens
up... with no default document or tab open.

As ever, apologies: I don't mind admitting when I get something wrong.
Which is quite often.

Is your unnamed and obviously crappy accounts program Sage by any
chance? It seems very familiar.

And isn't it brilliant how LibreOffice actually has far better
compatibility with all Microsoft Office versions that Office itself
does? You can even open old Microsoft Works documents in it with no
problems. I pity the guys who hack all the document format stuff for
LibreOffice, and applaud them: they do good good work.

I'll try and pick my examples more carefully next time - in my defence,
I use MS Office about once a year normally, and if it wasn't for Visio,
I'd use it even less than that. I'd love to abandon it for Dia, but it's
just not up to scratch yet. The network discovery stuff in Visio is
worth it's weight in gold.

Regards