Re: [LUG] Firefox tabs

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:32:40 +0100
bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My bad, forgot I've probably recommended it to you already. You're
> going to need to roll your sleeves up then, and "fix" it yourself -
> let me introduce you to a page I've spent *way* too long on over the
> years:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
>
> I guess you already knew how to open the advanced settings of Firefox
> with about:config in a new tab: all* of the actual settings are
> defined here.

Yes, have already used that several times.

 If you filter the page for "tab" you'll have a lot of
> options to customise to your heart's content. I have no idea if
> you'll actually find what you're looking for in there, but if they
> exist anywhere, the options you want will be there.

Will have a look at this.

> Also, I'm going to have to call you on dissing the Mozilla devs just
> like everyone else out there. You are welcome to write your own
> standards compliant, fully featured, open and extensible
> cross-platform browser whenever you like! I'll wait for the results.
> Until you've finished, I'll happily continue using Firefox, which
> although it may not be perfect, is by far the best browser currently
> available by a country mile. Of course constructive grumbles about
> open source projects are valid to a certain extent but the amount of
> scorn, vitriol and general abuse the Firefox devs get is truly
> amazing considering just what they're providing. For free. Oh noes!
> The user interface has a tiny little change every few months and I
> have to learn to click slightly differently! Someone call the UN!
> *rolls eyes*
>
> Hell, if you don't like it, you're welcome to apply for a receipt: I'm
> sure Mozilla will be more than happy to return every penny you've paid
> them for their top class browser :]

Oops! I was not 'dissing the Mozilla devs' as you put it. I know that
they work hard for us and that they do it all for free. I was just
suggesting that it would be nice if these changes were offered to us as
a new layout which we could accept or not instead of suddenly appearing
after an upgrade. Then we could check them out and decide to go with
them or opt to stay as we were.

I do hope this did not come across as 'scorn, vitriol and general
abuse' it was certainly not intended as such. I just feel that the
current system of a, sometimes big, change suddenly appearing could be
offered instead as a new option to take on board or not. It was only
meant as a minor grumble.

Meanwhile thanks for all your help,

Neil