Re: [LUG] Firefox tabs

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:26:48 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:38:50 +0100
> bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello bad,
>
> >Windows? But probably not, as MS at least listen to giant
> >corporations and big enterprise partners/resellers, and even the
> >general public if they make enough of a fuss (witness the return of
> >the start menu in win9 and the taming of TIFKAM).
>
> I've never kept up with Windows developments, so had to look up that
> acronym.  Even knowing what it means, I still have no idea what the
> furore was.  I'm not inclined to find out, in any case.  Al I know
> about Windows is that, whenever I've used it, it all seemed rather
> laboured and counter-intuitive.  I'm told things have improved since
> XP days (last version I used), so I can't comment on recent
> versions.  TBH, I prefer not to comment on earlier versions either;
> Time has no doubt coloured my memory of the past.
>
> >So, Mac OS X then. Because Apple listen to absolutely nobody, ever.
>
> What, not even the shareholders?   ;-)

As the OP on this thread, I should mention that my main moan with the
changes to tabs in v 31 was that an x button now appears on every tab
header, even if there is just the one. And clicking on the x of the
only tab  closes down FF. Previously trying to close the only tab
did nothing.

I have now found the answer via about:config. Search for browser.tabs.
This will bring up a list. The second item in the list is

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab

which is set to true. Double click it to change the value to false. Now
it works exactly as I wish. If there is just the one tab with content
then clicking on the x will remove the content and leave the tab empty.
If the tab is empty then clicking on the x will do nothing. Brilliant.
In fact it is even better than before.

Thanks to big apple for reminding me about using about:config.

Neil