Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:00:11 +0100
Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

>It may actually be a good thing. It creates an incentive for business
>to avoid accepting payments that aren't authorized (correctly), as

True, but as Kevin pointed out, ultimately, it's us, the paying customer
that foots the bill.  Twice, in some cases, as more and more retailers
add a 2% surcharge for using a credit card.

>It does lead to some odd situations. Some time ago, some hacktivists
>found a bunch of credit card details (I believe from people who were
>subscribers to a foreign policy magazine) and used them to make

This article (from Dec 2011)
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/anonymous-makes-charitable-donations-using-stolen-credit-card-details/
refers to Think Tank Stratfor which has the US Army, Air Force & Miami
PD on its client list.

>donations to the Red Cross. Assuming the payments were cancelled, this
>meant that hackers effectively stole some money from the Red Cross and
>donated it to Visa and Mastercard.

A truly bizarre set of circumstances.  They obviously (to me) did it to
make a point.  Whether that point was made to the right people is
doubtful, though.

--
 Regards  _
It couldn't adapt so it couldn't survive