Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On 29/04/13 15:08, Brad Rogers wrote:

IDK about that, but it doesn't stop an unscrupulous employee making a
note of the card details.  Admittedly, with chip 'n' pin terminals there
are far fewer reasons to actually hand the card over in the first place.

Most of the places I use my debit card nowadays have a portable machine for the job. I am still surprised, and annoyed, by how many hold out their hand for the card to take it off out the back somewhere.

I just refuse and ask them to bring the machine to me where I can keep an eye on what they are doing. Mostly they are happy to do that, but sometimes I get a look which tells me that perhaps they were planning something, shall we say, a bit underhand.

I just smile at them and wait for them to comply! To me that is the main advantage of these card machines now being portable. Or am I being too careful?

Neil