Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> Which they charge because the law says we have the right to our money
> back.  Someone, somewhere has to pay.  The card issuers take the
> position that the business was at fault.
>
> I don't say that's right, just the way it is.

It may actually be a good thing. It creates an incentive for business
to avoid accepting payments that aren't authorized (correctly), as
otherwise they'd have to pay the fees, and an incentive for the card
issuers to make sure authorization and authentication can be done
reasonably well.

It does lead to some odd situations. Some time ago, some hacktivists
found a bunch of credit card details (I believe from people who were
subscribers to a foreign policy magazine) and used them to make
donations to the Red Cross. Assuming the payments were cancelled, this
meant that hackers effectively stole some money from the Red Cross and
donated it to Visa and Mastercard.

Martijn.