Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:26:38 +0100
Kevin Peat <k@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Kevin,

>Well the customer ultimately pays. So even if you don't use cards you

Indeed they, err, *we* do.  :-(

>still pay for card fraud every time you buy something. Card
>transactions should never have been extended to the phone and then
>online without a reliable method of authentication. It isn't the
>retailer's fault that they cannot verify their customer's identity.

They can, but there's nothing in law that can force them too.  Except
when it comes to the sale of age restricted products, including
cigarettes and smoking paraphernalia, knives, some solvent based
products, some non-prescription drugs, alcohol, etc.  Selling to those
under age can lead to a prison sentence for the person doing the
selling, their manager and the shop also losing its liquor license if
booze is involved.

>This is something the card issuers should have fixed years ago but
>instead they gave us chip & pin and "verified by visa" (etc.) both of
>which are a joke.

Always the way.   :-(

In a similar vein, the mobile phone companies refuse to improve coverage
(a trivial item to fix according to the inventor of mobile phones) but
insist on trying to sell ever greater amounts of internet bandwidth
which most people never use.

>On a totally different subject, I hope your OSM rendering problem is
>sorted out now, if not let me know.

(Thanks for reminding me)

Actually, no.  I'd forgotten about it, TBH.  Too much happening at home
recently.  There's still a gap in the A361 to the East of South Molton
and another road doesn't join the A361 at the Bish Mill roundabout.  The
ways and nodes all exist when you look at the area in Potlatch.

There's also a road(1) that only renders at certain magnifications as
well.  See
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.97102&lon=-3.76261&zoom=16&layers=M
then zoom out to see the road disappear.  I know that certain features
"disappear" at certain magnifications, but that one just strikes as
wrong, since it means the bridleway looks a though it goes nowhere.

I did try suggestions regarding the forcing of re-rendering tiles, but
unfortunately, they didn't improve things.

(1) It's set as a service road of type driveway.

--
 Regards  _
Looking for something I can call my own, ain't a Ford Cortina or a