[LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> Please, as a Lug with a web site and an active community, can we come
> together as a group and create some sort of agreed way to send emails so
> that they are encrypted as a group. Lets discuss this as a separate mail or
> why not create a forum topic for it, hell why not create a poll for us to
> look at to agree or disagree to add such a topic to the forum.

What purpose would using email encryption have? More precisely, what
individual or entity do you think we should prevent from reading the
list emails? And how are we going to ensure they don't join the list,
which is open, so that they can read the emails anyway?

There are several cases in which email encryption can be useful, and
some in which it is essential. But using it just because encryption
seems good is a waste of resources, and gives a false sense of
security.

Martijn.