Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

IIRC, there are inserts that fit into the card slot of ATMs, or any other
card reader for that matter, that gather all the data they contain and
record the PIN.  So, even keeping the card in full view is no guarantee.

My wife's card got skimmed at an ATM outside the Coop at Chudleigh about four years ago. Quite a few people got caught by that one.

My got cloned two years before that by some random website and used to pay for a tattoo in New York.

I'm quite convinced card fraud is massively under-reported so as not to undermine consumer confidence.

Whatever happened to cash?   :-)

Can't stop progress :)

Now, what about Barclay's contactless cards [1] and Smartphone payments?  Something so insecure they've got low limits built in...

Simon

[1] Barclays issued me with one and told me it was my responsibility to ensure it wasn't mis-used. They wouldn't supply me with a normal debit card so I closed my account.