Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

On 02/04/12 16:31, Julian Hall wrote:

> Similar behaviour to your home router then.. and as you say you couldn't
> hang around long enough to see if it stayed connected..

Except that with my home router I have to reset it before it will connect.

>> Andy suggested that I could try changing the channel on my
>> router. At the moment it uses channel 6, so I could try channel 11
>> perhaps. Does that sound like a plan?
> It's worth a shot.. but I'd first use one of the WifI snoopers to find
> out what channels your neighbours use.  You don't want to compromise
> quality for your other wireless devices by using the same channel as
> anyone nearby.
Where I live not many people use wifi with their computers I have
changed to channel 11 which works for everything except the phone. No
difference there.

>> Or another idea, perhaps my phone does not like my router, but in that
>> case why would it log on easily as soon as I reset it?

> Fair point.. and it's the same phone that connected previously with no
> problem, so I don't see why that would be the case.

>> Or, android version 4.0 is due to be available for my phone later this
>> month. I could try that I suppose.

> I'd be inclined to hang fire and see if anyone reports problems with 4.0
> and your phone.  Frying pan and fire comes to mind :)

Yes indeed. I always wait a while before trying out new versions of
anything, to see what others have found in the way of problems.

> Here's a thought.  Does your phone have a 'lock/standby' mode.. in other
> words after a set time the screen darkens to save battery etc?  If so
> does that coincide with when it loses WiFi connectivity?  Perhaps you
> could temporarily disable that function and see if the phone stays
> connected.

Yes, it does switch off the screen after a set time. Unfortunately there
doesn't seem to be a choice of 'never'. The range goes from 15 seconds
to 30 minutes in various jumps.

Thanks

Neil