Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

 On 02/04/2012 14:49, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 02/04/12 13:27, Julian Hall wrote:
As for Sony and/or Google getting it sorted, I have my doubts. They are
very busy with version 4 of Android so I doubt that they will find time
for anything to do with Gingerbread, even though a lot of users are
having this problem.

Thanks for your help with this,

sadly

Neil
Damn I'm sorry that hasn't worked.  Best of luck with the ISP!

Julian

I was up in town this morning (Holsworthy). We have a very good computer
shop there and I know the owner, Andy, well. I tried logging on to the
wifi there and it worked!! No problem. And, of course, he did not have
to reset his router.

I could not stay long enough to see if it would eventually drop, but it
seemed fine.
Similar behaviour to your home router then.. and as you say you couldn't hang around long enough to see if it stayed connected..
Andy suggested that I could try changing the channel on my
router. At the moment it uses channel 6, so I could try channel 11
perhaps. Does that sound like a plan?
It's worth a shot.. but I'd first use one of the WifI snoopers to find out what channels your neighbours use. You don't want to compromise quality for your other wireless devices by using the same channel as anyone nearby.
Or another idea, perhaps my phone does not like my router, but in that case why
would it log on easily as soon as I reset it?
Fair point.. and it's the same phone that connected previously with no problem, so I don't see why that would be the case.
Or, android version 4.0 is due to be available for my phone later this month. I
could try that I suppose.
I'd be inclined to hang fire and see if anyone reports problems with 4.0 and your phone. Frying pan and fire comes to mind :)

Here's a thought. Does your phone have a 'lock/standby' mode.. in other words after a set time the screen darkens to save battery etc? If so does that coincide with when it loses WiFi connectivity? Perhaps you could temporarily disable that function and see if the phone stays connected.

Kind regards,

Julian