Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

 On 01/04/2012 11:09, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 31/03/12 17:46, Julian Hall wrote:
Sounds like it was an official update then.. which suggests that if
there's a problem with it there would be mention on the forums.

Julian

Yes, this new version was an official update and plenty of people are
having the same problem

Last night I reset the router and the phone connected to it no problem.
This morning it started well, and was connected for a while. Then when I
checked it again a little while later we were back in the
connect/disconnect mode again. I do not understand what it is that
resetting the router does that makes it all work for a while. But I
cannot keep resetting it every time I need the internet on the phone.
But since it does connect for a while it must be working somehow.

Since I cannot sort it I seem to have two choices, either use the new
phone as a very expensive replacement for the old one or try to return
it to Amazon and try something else. There is no sign of any further
versions of Gingerbread coming out.

Oh well, if anyone can come up with any ideas I would be grateful,

Thanks

Neil
Hi Neil,

I had issues with my phone - Windows Phone 7 - of a similar nature. What was happening was that every time the phone was turned off I lost connectivity to my router and it wouldn't come back no matter what I did. It turned out that HTC in their all-too-finite wisdom had screwed up an update with the result that every time the phone was turned off it changed the MAC address! Yes, immensely stupid I know, but they did it and it took them a couple of months to bother to fix it, however they did eventually.

Here's something you could try. In my router I can assign fixed IP addresses to specific MACs, so that for instance my NAS box always has the same IP on the network. It could be that the DHCP lease is running out on your phone's IP and for some reason it's not refreshing properly. Rebooting the router may be pushing a new IP to the phone rather than wait for it to ask for one. Assigning your phone a fixed IP would solve that, if indeed that is the issue.

Kind regards,

Julian