Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

On 01/04/12 11:23, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> I had issues with my phone - Windows Phone 7 - of a similar nature.
> What was happening was that every time the phone was turned off I lost
> connectivity to my router and it wouldn't come back no matter what I
> did.  It turned out that HTC in their all-too-finite wisdom had screwed
> up an update with the result that every time the phone was turned off it
> changed the MAC address!  Yes, immensely stupid I know, but they did it
> and it took them a couple of months to bother to fix it, however they
> did eventually.
>
> Here's something you could try.  In my router I can assign fixed IP
> addresses to specific MACs, so that for instance my NAS box always has
> the same IP on the network.  It could be that the DHCP lease is running
> out on your phone's IP and for some reason it's not refreshing
> properly.  Rebooting the router may be pushing a new IP to the phone
> rather than wait for it to ask for one.  Assigning your phone a fixed IP
> would solve that, if indeed that is the issue.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Further to my previous email, I have checked the MAC address shown in my
router with the one appearing in the phone and they are completely
different. Strange. Resetting the router is not likely to change
anything on the phone, is it? Yet once reset I can log on to the wifi no
problem. (For a while anyway.) All very strange.

Neil