Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

 On 01/04/2012 15:42, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/04/12 13:59, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi Neil,

What I meant was to make your *router* not your ISP give the phone a
fixed IP address, not via DHCP as it normally would.  On my router (the
poorly named Virginmedia Superhub) I can tell it to reserve specific IP
addresses for particular MAC addresses.

I haven't found anything like that on my router (Netgear DG834G). I
think I will have a chat with my ISP tomorrow to see if they have any
idea why a reset makes such a difference.

e.g. when I turn my NAS box on the router sees the MAC address and knows
to give it the same IP address every time: 192.168.0.2.  The same with
my desktop, 192.168.0.3.  That way if I use any IP specific software I
don't have to mess about.  Other devices like my tablet just get a
dynamic IP from the DHCP server in the router.

When you say you've checked the MAC address shown in the router with the
one in your phone, do you mean you've checked the list of connected
devices?

When I look at my router admin, Router Status, I see three MAC
Addresses, on for the ADSL port, one for the LAN port and one for the
Wireless Port. The only difference is that very last character of each
one is different.

On the phone, if I go to Wifi Settings, and then Advanced, I see details
for the router such as IP Address, Gateway, Netmask and DNS1. Use Static
Address is selected, but deselecting it makes no difference. There is
also a MAC address which is nothing like the ones in the router. But
then I do not know a lot about all this so it may be unimportant. That
is why I am asking questions of the experts.

Neil

Hi Neil,

The MAC address you see on your phone is the one I was referring to. According to this page:

http://www.tarling.info/netgear-DG834G-and-address-reservation-with-DHCP.php

Choose LAN IP Setup and then Address Reservation. In the list of connected devices you should see your phone's MAC address (the one you mentioned seeing on it). Select that item and give it a name (such as your phone's make and model) and click Add. According to the above URL, whenever you restart the phone now it should get the same IP address.

I'm working here on two assumptions. a) that the DHCP lease is actually the problem, b) that giving your phone a fixed IP address will bypass any DHCP lease issue. Given that this method skips the DHCP server completely when assigning an IP address to your phone, b) should not be an issue.

In a nutshell you're saying to your router 'When this device connects ignore the DHCP server and always give this device the same IP address'.

Kind regards,

Julian