Re: [LUG] Xperia Ray and Wifi

 On 01/04/2012 19:02, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/04/12 17:09, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 01/04/12 16:21, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi Neil,

The MAC address you see on your phone is the one I was referring to.
According to this page:

http://www.tarling.info/netgear-DG834G-and-address-reservation-with-DHCP.php

Choose LAN IP Setup and then Address Reservation.  In the list of
connected devices you should see your phone's MAC address (the one you
mentioned seeing on it).  Select that item and give it a name (such as
your phone's make and model) and click Add.  According to the above URL,
whenever you restart the phone now it should get the same IP address.

I'm working here on two assumptions.  a) that the DHCP lease is actually
the problem, b) that giving your phone a fixed IP address will bypass
any DHCP lease issue.  Given that this method skips the DHCP server
completely when assigning an IP address to your phone, b) should not be
an issue.

In a nutshell you're saying to your router 'When this device connects
ignore the DHCP server and always give this device the same IP address'.

Kind regards,

Julian

OK. I will try that. First however I will have to find a time when I can
reset the router as at the moment the phone is not linked to the router
by wifi. Once reset it should log on automatically. Then I can follow
the instructions.

Since others here are using their computers at the moment I must wait
till later. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help,

Neil

Further to the above. I have now found the opportunity to make the
changes as explained above. I had to reset the router first. Now I have
added the phone. One difference, when I looked earlier the list showed
my desktop computer and the router. Now it shows the phone only under
Address Reservation heading. When I click on add I see the desktop
computer as if it is waiting to be added. Strange. so far it seems to be
working. Tomorrow will be the acid test.
That's probably because the list only shows you MAC addresses that haven't been added yet. That's a guess to be honest but it makes sense.
Just some questions. If this set up works and I keep it does it mean
that the phone will work with my router only? Or will I be able to log
on to other routers if I visit eg my son?
All you've done is told that particular router what IP address to give your phone when it connects. You haven't made any changes to your phone so there will be no effect on connecting it to other routers.
Is this just a work around as opposed to a proper solution?
In a word, yes. It sounds as if the update screwed something up in the phone's WiFi capability. Hopefully given that you mentioned others have the same problem Sony/Google will get their fingers out and correct the error soon.
I am
wondering because I suspect that Sony and/or Google have either not done
something they should have done or done something in error.
That's about the size of it, and the same as happened with my phone, albeit a Windows phone. Still an update that screwed up WiFi.
So more news tomorrow, thanks for all the help
No problem, I hope it works for you :)

Julian