Re: [LUG] KDE4 and widgets

Trinity is an actively developed fork of kde3, so far there are only a few developers. There are some bugs but no total showstoppers. It is almost certainly good for at least the lifetime of Squeeze and currently works on Wheezy also. It can co-exist with other desktops.

KDE4 is fine, for those who like that style and have up-to-date hardware to run it. Not everyone does. My problem with kde4 was not just bugs, missing functionality and excess resource-consumption, I just don't like the style.

Gnome is also fine (for those who like it) but it won't last much longer in it's current form, they too are following the trend

I don't see Trinity as a step backwards. Is not the abandonment of functionality for pretty bells and whistles regression?

I ran Debian Sid for some years as my main OS, kde4 was the only issue that defeated me. I spent long hours trying other desktops and found no adequate mainstream replacement for KDE3x.

I have since used as main OS Trinity on Squeeze with just a few specific GTK apps. It does all I need.

For anyone who wants to install Trinity on Debian, I have found their documented method gives a lot of bloat. I make a custom package list and use apt in cli to install from that. I don't like the default use of sudo (listed bug) but have found my own fix for that.