Re: [LUG] KDE4 and widgets

On 15/04/11 11:17, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:49:01 +0000
Tony Ferris<tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Hello Tony,

I felt the same about KDE4 and was very glad that my favourite distro
held back from updating to it, until it was ready.  For me its now
preferable to KDE3. Most of the bugs have been worked out in 4.6 and I

I don't dislike it any more, just miss some of the functionality of v3.

As an example, it is no longer possible to have different backgrounds on each desktop. This was available in KDE3 and I found it very useful.

Neil

I'm using KDE 4.6 while producing our village newsletter.

I have 4 activities set up. 1. Scribus. 2. Gimp. 3. LibreOffice 4. Iceweasel. Each activity is entirely separate and has a different background so that I know which activity I'm using.
Also each activity has 4 pages (16 desktops in total).
And each activity has it's own dock (daisy plasmoid) with the some other tools I may need ie. written notes, graphics viewer etc.

The newsletter may be a complex task but as the workflow is based around activities I always know where I am and what tools are available to me.

I find this a much more intuitive and functional for my workflow. eg. If I want to use Gimp I go to the Gimp Activity (or whatever I wish to call it) and leave the other activities behind.

You need to give KDE4 a little examination to unlock it's potential. To me the key to understanding KDE 4 is to think of your workflow as a collection of activities. Which if you think about it is what it always has been.

In comparison I now find KDE 3.5 so very restrictive and cumbersome.

Keith