Re: [LUG] KDE4 and widgets

Keith Abraham wrote:

I don't dislike it any more, just miss some of the functionality of v3.

As an example, it is no longer possible to have different backgrounds
on each desktop. This was available in KDE3 and I found it very useful.

Neil

I'm using KDE 4.6 while producing our village newsletter.

I have 4 activities set up. 1. Scribus. 2. Gimp. 3. LibreOffice 4.
Iceweasel.
Each activity is entirely separate and has a different background so
that I know which activity I'm using.
Also each activity has 4 pages (16 desktops in total).
And each activity has it's own dock (daisy plasmoid) with the some other
tools I may need ie. written notes, graphics viewer etc.

The newsletter may be a complex task but as the workflow is based around
activities I always know where I am and what tools are available to me.

I find this a much more intuitive and functional for my workflow. eg. If
I want to use Gimp I go to the Gimp Activity (or whatever I wish to call
it) and leave the other activities behind.

You need to give KDE4 a little examination to unlock it's potential. To
me the key to understanding KDE 4 is to think of your workflow as a
collection of activities. Which if you think about it is what it always
has been.

In comparison I now find KDE 3.5 so very restrictive and cumbersome.

Keith

Thanks for that. I have noticed mention of activities but have not looked into it. This is obviously something I must research. This comes from staying too long with an old version of Kubuntu. I installed Hardy when it first came out and have only just moved on.

Now that I am finding my way around KDE4 I am liking it a bit better.

Neil