Re: [LUG] KDE4 and widgets

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:43:54 +0100

By the way, do you like KDE4?

I didn't to start with, but as I played with it more, and got it more KDE
3.* like, it grew on me.  I have tried other DEs, but haven't found
anything yet that I prefer.

There's one thing I miss greatly, and that's the ability to have
different viewing profiles in each of the view modes (icon, detail or
column) in Dolphin like you could in KDE3.

I have disliked dolphin from the start so one of the first things I did was install thunar and that is now my file manager. I got to know it when I set up my laptop with Xfce.

I also have konqueror set up as another choice. Anything rather than dolphin.

What Linux is all about, choice

Indeed ...

These "file managers" are actually one of the things that put me off the "integrated desktop environment" type of things - I actually find it hard to find a file, when I know it's name! Most people will just say something like "sort it by name", but that then assumes that I know the order of the alphabet - which, being dyslexic i troublesome for me... It's far quicker for me to simply type in a filename, when I know its name! I suspect some filemanagers let me do this - I know the selector in firefox does, but I still find it a PITA to do the directory navigation.

And Toms comment about them being slow - they're effectively doing an "ls -l' on the directory and 'stat' isn't the quickest of system calls, then it sorts them, etc. Firefox is particularly slow on big directorys )-:

Ah well.

Gordon