Re: [LUG] Open Disc availability was Re: Possible Cornwall Meet...

On 10/11/2009 14:07, james kilty wrote:
On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 13:52 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
On 10/11/2009 13:45, james kilty wrote:
Is it realistic to put Joomla! or Drupal on????

Not sure, the problem is, they need installing on a server don't they?
Yes and Windows has a server on all versions from 2000?
Not by default on the desktop versions. It is possible to install Apache, MySQL & PHP on Windows, in fact I believe there is an installer package available.
Saying that, I did wonder about maybe sticking Ubuntu on the disc
running on QEmu or VirtualBox OSE.
Yes - even better. I am not familiar with how this works, but does wubi
instal within windows or does it partition? If the latter, then they
would need instructions. Your idea sounds good - I have not used them on
Windows, but is it simply an easy install?
It installs as a file within Windows, basically it creates a big file for the Ubuntu filesystem (and I believe a file for swap) and alters the boot.ini file on XP (or does whatever magic required for Vista and Windows 7) so it can load Grub and then boot the kernel.

The problem is the Wubi version which is included on the Ubuntu 9.10 disc doesn't remove the entries for Ubuntu correctly on Windows XP (works fine on Vista and Windows 7). It has been fixed, but I don't know if a new stable release of Wubi has been released yet.

On the other hand, using VirtualBox or QEmu means that a pre-configured hard disk image can be supplied for demonstration purposes. Maybe a solution would be to put the Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD on the DVD and make it bootable, then have QEmu run off the DVD (if possible) and get it to boot the DVD. Would require some playing though.

   Might be worth looking into.  I'm
hoping to get this version I'm working on released sooner rather than
later so I'm trying not to add too much on there to increase the
complexity.  It would be possible to put a link to these packages on
there though.
Excellent. A littl file on other matters. Another file on Linux would be
good.

Yeah.

That would be great.  I'm hoping I can get some leaflets distributed
here in Torquay too.
Send me a copy?

Can do, I haven't got anything done yet, although I did have an older flyer explaining what the OpenDisc was, I'll try and dig it out later.

Yep, I originally thought it would be great to distribute copies of the
disc to every school student in Torbay (or even Devon) but found it to
be a bit unworkable due to the cost which was a shame (I think it worked
out at something like £20,000 or so).  Maybe one day if one of us wins
the lottery we could do this :-)
Is there some law about freedom and rights to know that we could use to
(ultimately) require schools to make these available? To hide the facts
about FSW seems counter-educational to me. Maybe there is a softer way
to invte schools to offer a session on FSW with discs available to those
who ask?

James
Not sure, but the way I'm going about it now is offering it to the school so they can sell copies cheaply (say £1 each) with profits going to the school PTA. If it goes ahead at my kids school, I'm hoping that my contacts at the school might be able to help me introduce it to other schools in the area.

Rob