Re: [LUG] Open Disc availability was Re: Possible Cornwall Meet...

On 10/11/2009 13:45, james kilty wrote:
On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 12:03 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

I could certainly have a go, I think I have some DVD templates
somewhere.  We've been distributing copies of the OpenDisc in paper CD
sleeves to keep the cost down, but I think a DVD cover would also be a
good idea as it gives a more professional look.
Great - but we'll have to liaise with Stephen about the front cover - he
wants Penzance Computers on it. I will ask him to send you his cover for
Open Office and Audacity so you can copy any obvious shop stuff on to
it. I forget if he put his own logo on. Then you can communicate with
him directly. I will do what I can to help. Perhaps there could be a
promotion of Linux on it as well, perhaps a last paragraph.

Sounds good.
snip list of software

Is it realistic to put Joomla! or Drupal on????

Not sure, the problem is, they need installing on a server don't they?

Saying that, I did wonder about maybe sticking Ubuntu on the disc running on QEmu or VirtualBox OSE. Might be worth looking into. I'm hoping to get this version I'm working on released sooner rather than later so I'm trying not to add too much on there to increase the complexity. It would be possible to put a link to these packages on there though.

Well it's always good to have some help promoting Open Source and Free
Software :-)
I will ask about real promotion. Leaflets would be good.
That would be great. I'm hoping I can get some leaflets distributed here in Torquay too.
I've got a meeting this evening to show the disc to the school so I'm
hoping to have at least a 'beta' version of the disc ready (basically
with all the apps pretty much updated, but there could be a possibility
that some links and apps might not work and it would need a bit of
testing to dig out any spelling errors, broken links or broken apps).
Great. Nice to have common cause in this.
Yep, I originally thought it would be great to distribute copies of the disc to every school student in Torbay (or even Devon) but found it to be a bit unworkable due to the cost which was a shame (I think it worked out at something like £20,000 or so). Maybe one day if one of us wins the lottery we could do this :-)

Rob