Re: [LUG] Possible Cornwall Meet...

james kilty wrote:
On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 14:40 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
It might be a good idea to say... second Saturday of every month at at 2pm at a certain location there will be a LUG meeting in Cornwall.
If anyone organises that - great. My own preference is to use more than
one location.
At least having a regular location on the time date/time every month means that people know what is coming up. I tell my other half that the 1st Saturday of every month for me is busy time at the LUG meeting. For me if the LUG meetings were on random days and times then I wouldn't be able to make half as many. That's not to say you should just stick to one, I'm just thinking have one regular one and maybe extras in between to cater for others.
I gather though if it's going to be a regular thing you might want to clear it with the premises owner. In the case of the Paignton meet, I gather the guy who owns the Shoreline is fairly happy with us going along and we're flexable enough to leave if they have any pre-booked events.
Penzance Computers were very happy with our meetings to publicise FSW.
Not to mention it's a little bit more publicity for them, especially when we had visitors come along, pick up a copy of the OpenDisc and stay around and have a coffee while waiting to have OpenOffice installed.
They do have coffee and they do have a disc - I cannot remember what it
contained. The full works would be good. When I'm next in I'll ask. They
like Sundays. I'd not be popular if I took on the responsibility of
organising beyond maybe checking what they have and dates, much as I
would like to - home duties are priority. Please would anyone this end
indicate interest. If we are to offer services such as assisting
installation of FSW then that needs someone to lead.
If Penzance Computers want, I'd be happy to do them a custom version of the OpenDisc, similar to what I have done. Basically the disc would have a link to their web site on the disc menu system and on the CD label. That's assuming they don't mind bearing the cost of duplicating the disc themselves (I can provide an ISO and they can make copies from this). If they want to do this, it not only means they can get more advertising (what we have done in Torbay is leave copies of the disc to give out in various places such as shops and cafes etc), plus it also raises awareness of Free/Open Source software.

If you could mention it to them, feel free to pass on my e-mail address.

Maybe next year when I visit Hayle on holiday I'll have to pop into Penzance Computers (we passed it when we went for a day trip to Penzance, but didn't have time to pop in).

Rob