Re: [LUG] Possible Cornwall Meet...

On 10/11/2009 11:42, james kilty wrote:
On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 09:46 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

On the other hand I'm in discussions with my kids school's PTA about
selling copies of the OpenDisc at the school for say a pound each with
profits going to the school.  A quid a disc is certainly cheaper than
what Microsoft are charging for Office 2007 (even the Office 2007
Ultimate edition they are offering students at £38!).
Maybe next year when I visit Hayle on holiday I'll have to pop into
Penzance Computers (we passed it when we went for a day trip to
Penzance, but didn't have time to pop in).

Good idea. They are very friendly there. They also have a branch in
Camborne now but that's just a shop. In Pz there are computers (they
have let us install a distro on the day) plus wifi (free to us on a FSW
day) plus coffee.

Sounds good.
Hello again

I had a chat with Stephen at Pz Computers. They are selling copies of
OOo3 and Audacity for £4.99 - these are the most in demand. They have a
cover advertising them and an "Open Source" logo. I offered the Open
Disc iso on your behalf and he jumped at it. I suggested we have a
mini-sheet listing all the software with a line on each one with perhaps
a url for the developer's site. I think we should have an different logo
on the front at least emphasising freedom. Perhaps the info sheet could
have a sentence or two explaining that freedom to modify and
redistribute code has given power to millions of developers to improve
all the programmes so that we can all benefit with a link to the FSWF
and any other useful links for info. Additionally, it is all platform
agnostic so it is "non-sectarian".

Yeah that sounds like a good idea.
Is this something you'd be prepared to do for it? The case is like the
video dvd's in size - rectangular. Perhaps we could also knock up an
advert for display in the shop window?

I could certainly have a go, I think I have some DVD templates somewhere. We've been distributing copies of the OpenDisc in paper CD sleeves to keep the cost down, but I think a DVD cover would also be a good idea as it gives a more professional look.
Otherwise send me a list of the software in the iso and I'll try to
knock one up. I have plenty to do at home and I am behind on my honey
extraction, so would prefer if someone else operates.

Well for reference at the moment the disc contains the following applications (although this might change, I might be able to find some more applications to add, or I may possibly remove one or two 'unsupported' applications). Currently it stands at just under 60 applications totalling around 2GB (so it requires a DVD). I'm also looking at doing a CD version although this won't have as many apps due to the space (the games tend to take up a whole lot of space).

_Education_
Celestia
Graphcalc
Guido van Robot
Stellarium
TuxMath
TuxMathScrabble
TuxTyping
TuxWordSmith
WorldWind

_Games_
Boswars
Enigma
Extreme Tux Racer
Flightgear
FreeCiv
FreeCol
Glest
Hedgewars
LinCity NG
Neverball
Pingus
Qianhong Chess
Rocks n Diamonds
Cube 2: Sauerbraten
Sokoban YASC
SuperTux
SuperTuxKart
Tremulous
Battle for Wesnoth
Winboard
Wormux

_Graphics_
Blender
Gimp
Inkscape
Tuxpaint
Tuxpaint (9x/ME)

_Internet_
Firefox
HTTrack
Kompzer
Pidgin
Thunderbird

_Multimedia_
Audacity
CamStudio & CamStudio Codec
Infrarecoder
Infrarecoder (W9x/ME)
Really Slick Screensavers
VLC
VLC (W9x/ME)

_Office_
Dia
FreeMind
GanttProject
OpenOffice.org
PDF Creator
Scribus
Sumatra PDF
Sunbird
Workrave

_Utilities_
7Zip
GTK
GTK (W9x/ME)
Notepad2
TightVNC
TrueCrypt

Stephen is very positive about GNU/Linux and has sold refurbished
computers with a Linux on, he was proud to set a local customer up with
a FSW telephone setup (not asterisk) and took to my suggestion that he
gets it up on his web site. He is aloso pleased with our link with him,
and I am sure would host another Sunday meet in his Internet
cafe/workshop. His assistant in the shop uses Linux and showed me his
netbook with a touch screen added. Aklas, I saw no Linux machine for
sale.
Well it's always good to have some help promoting Open Source and Free Software :-)

I've got a meeting this evening to show the disc to the school so I'm hoping to have at least a 'beta' version of the disc ready (basically with all the apps pretty much updated, but there could be a possibility that some links and apps might not work and it would need a bit of testing to dig out any spelling errors, broken links or broken apps).

Rob