Re: [LUG] Possible Cornwall Meet...

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 21:13 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> james kilty wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 14:40 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> >

> >> It might be a good idea to say... second Saturday of every month at at
> >> 2pm at a certain location there will be a LUG meeting in Cornwall.
> >>
> > If anyone organises that - great. My own preference is to use more than
> > one location.
> >
> At least having a regular location on the time date/time every month
> means that people know what is coming up.
It works both ways. Random places and times can suit many different
people if one location is too far away.
>   I tell my other half that the
> 1st Saturday of every month for me is busy time at the LUG meeting.  For
> me if the LUG meetings were on random days and times then I wouldn't be
> able to make half as many.
If it's too inconvenient some of us might make zero. It will always be a
compromise. Two locations may be the key - east and west - or 3 east, -
west and central. Lostwithiel came up once - perhaps our eastern friends
might think that's too westerly.
>   That's not to say you should just stick to
> one, I'm just thinking have one regular one and maybe extras in between
> to cater for others.
Constant 2-monthly and variable in-betweens. However, we need one first!
It's easy to discuss and not act.

snip
> If Penzance Computers want, I'd be happy to do them a custom version of
> the OpenDisc, similar to what I have done.  Basically the disc would
> have a link to their web site on the disc menu system and on the CD
> label.  That's assuming they don't mind bearing the cost of duplicating
> the disc themselves (I can provide an ISO and they can make copies from
> this).  If they want to do this, it not only means they can get more
> advertising (what we have done in Torbay is leave copies of the disc to
> give out in various places such as shops and cafes etc), plus it also
> raises awareness of Free/Open Source software.
>
> If you could mention it to them, feel free to pass on my e-mail address.
I think this would work. I don't know what they charge for it nor what
is on it. Interesting I saw Tesco's had a disc - it only had OOo on it.
I might wrirte and suggest they put all FSW on it.

> Maybe next year when I visit Hayle on holiday I'll have to pop into
> Penzance Computers (we passed it when we went for a day trip to
> Penzance, but didn't have time to pop in).
Good idea. They are very friendly there. They also have a branch in
Camborne now but that's just a shop. In Pz there are computers (they
have let us install a distro on the day) plus wifi (free to us on a FSW
day) plus coffee.

James

--
james kilty