Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:27:08PM +0100, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM, james kilty wrote:
Interesting that my wife and colleagues are regularly asked to clear out
their mailboxes as the server is clogged up with their huge bank of
top-posted emails which grow in size each post.

Well, there is that, of course, but I don't think storage is too much
of an issue these days. At least it shouldn't be, for it's quite
cheap.

Claiming that storage/memory/CPU isnÿÿt an issue because itÿÿs so cheap is
what leads to wasteful programming and bloat.

I know (because I run these things myself), that there's a lot more to it than simple storage and cpu requirements.

For example, the immediate one we can laugh at is Microsoft licensing for started and the limit of 2GB in a PST file until you pay more to get to the next limit, (on an exchange server AIUI)

Even if using Linux servers, then POP servers can become very innefficient when the inbox gets large - some take complete copies of the inbox, pop it to the recipient (or the new messages), then merge new messages back in - this isn't particularly cpu intensice, but can be very disk IO intensive. Multiply that to a company of 100+ people and you can get very slow mailservers indeed...

Gordon