Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM, james kilty wrote:
> Interesting that my wife and colleagues are regularly asked to clear out
> their mailboxes as the server is clogged up with their huge bank of
> top-posted emails which grow in size each post.

Well, there is that, of course, but I don't think storage is too much
of an issue these days. At least it shouldn't be, for it's quite
cheap. Clever storing would help too: if you reply to someone's
message by putting the full message at the bottom, you don't really
need to store that full message again in your system. But I know very
little of modern mailboxes and I wonder how much this is used,
especially for external correspondence.

Mind you, I'm not saying we should all just top post and even in a
work context we could do with removing the original email when it it
unlikely to be needed more often (and I've definitely been guilty of
lazily clicking send before even considering if I needed to quote the
full conversation too), but I do think it has its use.

Martijn.