[LUG] USB boot

Sunday I had a computer meltdown and had to install Ubuntu from a USB stick - I
tried with a KingMax 4GB. I like these because they're the most compact I've come
across and fit nicely on a keyring. I was going to leave it on this stick so I could
use it anywhere/anywhen in future. But I couldn't get it to boot. After trying a lot
of other things I eventually tried again using a Kingston Traveller 2GB job and it
worked perfectly.

I can't explain this: before I loaded the KingMax up via Unetbootin I set it up as a
single FAT32 partition and marked it bootable same as with the Kingston. The only
odd thing I can find is that the KingMax although it says 4GB actually the partition
(which as far as I can see covers the entire memory) says 3.8GB. Is it possible
there's some peculiar proprietary partitioning that isn't apparent under normal
usage.

Any suggestions?