Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

Terry Hill wrote:

> Sorry if this rubs your rhubarb a bit but does it really matter?

I think easy to use software is a good thing, Gmail makes writing and
replying to emails harder in little ways than Thunderbird, Kmail, and a
host of other email clients.

You might not need this polish, but I use email a lot, I like the little
things Kmail does for me at work, it saves time and keeps my
communications short and to the point (or at least in a purely technical
fashion - doesn't stop me rambling).

> PGP signatures - is there a point?

Only if you use email for stuff that matters. For work and play I need
to send and receive PGP encrypted emails occasionally, a client that
doesn't support it is useless for that, and just irritating when you
receive such emails at other times when it displays text or attachments
that a sensible email client would hide.

> I use email all over the place, at work, at friends houses, at home.
> Gmail is there, wherever there's an operating system with a browser of
> some sort bolted on.

I have Thunderbird installed on the PCs I spend most of my time at.

I have a web interface to my email for the rare occasions I'm not at a
PC that I have an account on. Being a free software webmail client that
doesn't show me adverts, it has some of the same flaws as Gmail, but
does support PGP better.

So it isn't a choice local client, or web client, just that the
established clients are still much more feature complete than most of
the webmail clients.

I'm mostly surprised that Gmail hasn't caught up more, I guess it
doesn't raise enough revenue for Google to devote significant
development effort to it as a project - although I'll reserve judgement
till I see Google Wave.

> As far as I can remember the only place I've ever been told off for top
> posting was in this user group, so I start typing at the bottom these
> days if I remember as it's the fair enough that you all want the same
> format.

It isn't just a convention, it is about speed and clarify.

I'm often dealing with many hundreds of emails a day, I don't want to
scroll through a 50 page email with signatures and disclaimers, and
other irrelevant stuff, reading it all backwards in time trying to
figure out what point is being responded to and why, and if there is
anything I have to do.

I usually get at least one of these emails a day from customers embedded
somewhere inside is usually an explanation of what they thought was
wrong with their website, with ramblings, irrelevant content, and
usually with a whole load of unrelated or already solved problems or
misunderstandings. Okay 90% of this is about communication skills of the
people sending them, but that their email clients do daft things like
quoting the whole email with signatures, and puts the cursor at the top
of the pile of quoted rubbish, their chances of writing a concise and
clear explanation of what is still outstanding is close to zero already.