Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:

>>> Well, there is that, of course, but I don't think storage is too much
>>> of an issue these days. At least it shouldn't be, for it's quite
>>> cheap.
>>
>> Claiming that storage/memory/CPU isnÿÿt an issue because itÿÿs so
>> cheap is
>> what leads to wasteful programming and bloat.
>
> I know (because I run these things myself), that there's a lot more to
> it than simple storage and cpu requirements.
>
> For example, the immediate one we can laugh at is Microsoft licensing
> for started and the limit of 2GB in a PST file until you pay more to
> get to the next limit, (on an exchange server AIUI)
There's a lot of this in MS - I wrote a few small DLL's that allowed me
do things with SQLServer 4.5  that were 'only possible' if you upgraded.
Alas the boss then wouldn't let me let the code out under GPL . And the
IT manager insisted on upgrading so he could get training etc...

The problem you really have tho is misuse of mail:
 Send a document to 400 people on a mailing list - 10 read it and you
have 400 copies in the mail store.
Idiots forward it on - no security.
 Put your document in a controlled document store (I'd call that a well
put together intranet...) and you can e-mail people the link and control
access. Better still work flow it - all done in an intranet and you can
get clues to who's actually read it.
Throughout my career in IT I've seen the old problems - long solved -
coming back with every new 'idea'. Alas the new boys haven't the
experience to recognise the old problems and even if they did there's a
whole new culture of actually wanting the problem to exist so as to have
a safe excuse. When I started work people solved problems - now they
write documents about the problems and ask IT where the document went...
Its dog ate my homework writ large!
Tom te tom te tom