Re: [LUG] Etiquette was Re: And this is bad news...

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> Okay 90% of this is about communication skills of the people sending them

That's what it's all about, isn't it? I don't think there's any point
in relying to posts on a mailing list like this one without only
quoting the bit you're replying to. And doing this correctly is hardly
extra work.

At the same time, at work I regularly have conversations where,
halfway through, a colleague is copied in. For their information it is
quite useful that the full conversation can be found as a reference at
the bottom of the email. (It makes it a lot easier for them if the
signature is short and there is no long and pointless disclaimer.) So
I'm not against top posting as a rule, as long as it is done sensibly.

Anyway, I've been happily using GMail for quite a few years. I know
it's not ideal, but it works well, can do almost all things I need
and, thanks to the keyboard shortcuts, works pretty fast too. (And I
have never really seen the point of PGP anyway, although I agree they
should support it for those who need it.)

Martijn.